Conventions & House Style
- In what ways does your media product use, develop or
challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
- For my final page designs I took a lot of inspiration
from magazines such as Kerrang! and Rock Sound.
- I decided to pick these magazines to look into and
study the layout of because of the relevance in genre. Another reason I thought
these magazines would be appropriate to use as a guideline is because of the
images and text. In my planning I decided on what I was aiming for text and
photo wise, I thought it would be suitable to look at particular magazines such
as Kerrang! to make my magazine look as professional as I could possibly make
it.
- Due to using key magazine conventions from other
magazines, I believe my final product looks very traditional in sense of
fitting into a rock genre music magazine.
- For example: I used dark colours, bold fonts and made
the text informal.
From
my labelled front cover you can see I have included many key magazine conventions,
however I have also left some out. For example: Puffs and a magazine Slogan.
This is because I thought the front cover worked without it, and it already has
enough going on and I think it would look too busy and cramped if I added any
more text/images etc.
- For my contents page and feature article page I
thought it was important to include as many key conventions as possible. This
is to keep the pages looking traditional yet professional. I am happy with the
outcome of my pages in this way.
- For my feature article I made sure I used the
conventions you find in a lot of magazines for this page. For example: a drop
cap, text grabs and a main dominant image of the article is referring to.
- I originally had my image for my feature article on
the other side, because the right side of the page and the facing page for the
reader. However I decided to switch my image to the left page because overall
the layout and presentation looked better.
- My house style is also very prominent in both my
contents page and feature article. In particular the colours red, black and
white. I didn’t use a fluent font throughout my magazine though because I had
issues with editing the background to make it match and fit with different
colours. Next time, I believe I would look harder to find a more suitable font
that I could use throughout to make my house style stronger and more fluent.
- I took a lot of inspiration from Kerrang! Magazine for
my contents page, in particular the main image at the top. I thought it looked
appropriate and suited the magazine, and therefore wanted to incorporate
something similar in my design/layout.
No comments:
Post a Comment